Throughout my life whenever I was asked what my favourite colour is, I used to say (and still say) YELLOW!
For me, yellow represents sunshine and happiness and because I was always expected to be a happy, smiley child (and adult) in spite of my circumstances, yellow was the colour that did it for me. Strangely, when it comes to clothing, I hardly buy anything yellow.
At school I always used to joke with my friends and say when my bedroom gets re-painted, it must be painted canary yellow with shocking pink polka dots. Thankfully, this never happened!
When I started driving I said I will get a bright yellow car – this never happened either.
I’ve also always loved green (like the grass) because green for me always represented “life” and “re-growth” or “new birth” (my own thoughts). If pushed for a second colour choice, I would say that next to yellow, green would be my second choice, but very few people actually know this.
Now, listen to this coincidence of circumstances . . .
I’ve spent the last twelve years working at the Department of Environmental Affairs (environment = green). This was not by choice. It was a job available at the time and I needed the job.
A few years ago I was given a cell phone pouch and guess what the colour is? . . . green
My thermal mug I use at the office . . . is green
My lunch bag I take to the office . . . is green
One of my water bottles I use . . . is green
Recently my sister bought me a (thermal) flask . . . it’s green
For Christmas I received a USB hub for my computer . . . it’s green
I’ve recently taken over my mom’s car . . . it’s green
I’ve just bought myself a power pack for my electronic devices . . . it’s green
My personal trainer suggested I buy an “on the go” blender. He was going shopping anyway so I asked him to get me one. He brought it to my house and when I opened the door, I just burst out laughing . . . it’s green
Is there a message somewhere in here for me?
Let’s have a look at what a few people have to say about the colour GREEN . . .
The Color Green
The color green is the color of balance, harmony and growth
This is the color of balance and harmony. From a color psychology perspective, it is the great balancer of the heart and the emotions, creating equilibrium between the head and the heart.
From a meaning of colors perspective, green is also the color of growth, the color of spring, of renewal and rebirth. It renews and restores depleted energy. It is the sanctuary away from the stresses of modern living, restoring us back to a sense of well being. This is why there is so much of this relaxing color on the earth, and why we need to keep it that way.
Green is an emotionally positive color, giving us the ability to love and nurture ourselves and others unconditionally. A natural peacemaker, it must avoid the tendency to become a martyr.
If Your Favorite Color is Green
• You are a practical, down-to-earth person with a love of nature.
• You are stable and well balanced or are striving for balance – in seeking this balance, you can at times become unsettled and anxious.
• Having a personality color green means you are kind, generous and compassionate – good to have around during a crisis as you remain calm and take control of the situation until it is resolved.
• You are caring and nurturing to others – however you must be careful not to neglect your own needs while giving to others.
• You are intelligent and love to learn – you are quick to understand new concepts.
• With a personality color green you have a great need to love and to be loved and you tend to wear your heart on your sleeve- you are an open book who doesn’t hide his/her feelings.
• You have a need to belong – greens are the joiners of social groups – you are at home in any social situation as you are gracious and well-mannered, knowing just the right things to say and do.
• You are a good citizen and like to be involved in community groups.
• You have high moral standards and doing the right thing is important to you.
• You like to be accepted, appreciated and admired for the good you do in the community as well as in your family life.
• You are a loyal friend and a faithful partner, gentle but not passionate.
• It is difficult for you to feel great passion as your need is for balance and peace, not action.
• Having a personality color green means you are strong-willed and do not like to be told what to do by others. You do like to win arguments and do not concede defeat easily.
• You can have a tendency to gossip, which is connected to your need to belong.
• You love food and find it hard to lose weight.
• With a personality color green you are not a risk-taker and not action orientated, rather more of an observer. You love to sit in a café and watch the world go by.
• You are business orientated and love to work in your own business. Money is important to you but you are generous.
• Detail bores you. You process information quickly and prefer to develop an idea, organize a plan and then delegate the rest to someone else. Ideas flow quite easily but you are not good at executing them.
• You accumulate possessions but they are usually of high quality and high price.
• You make an excellent counselor, psychologist, social worker as you are a good listener and can view others problems with empathy, clarity and a balanced analysis, seeing both sides while showing respect and caring.
• The ability to put yourself in the shoes of others is one of your true talents, but you need to be careful you don’t become so involved in others lives that you become a martyr.
• You have to be careful not to become complacent and self-righteous, forgetting about your own dreams and goals.
• Greens are generally frank, community-minded people, fairly sociable but preferring peace at any price. You can be too self-effacing, modest and patient, and run the risk of being exploited by others. You may appear to be innocent and naïve but you are actually quite streetwise and astute – you read others well, but often keep it to yourself.
• A negative side to the green personality is a tendency towards envy and jealousy.
The Deepest Need of a Personality Color Green
Your deepest need is to belong, to love and be loved, and to feel safe and secure. You need acceptance and acknowledgement for the everyday things you do for others – just a ‘thank you’ is sufficient.
Those who know me well . . . how does this describe my personality?